I had a nice chat with Chris Weber, the Director of Student Assignment Services for Metro Nashville Public Schools. Chris has been with the district for a long time so he was able to provide some interesting insights into the past, present, and future of different initiatives. He was also very forthcoming and it is apparent that he truly wants to help families navigate this sometimes confusing process.
I think you will enjoy listening if you are a parent navigating the school choice application process or if you are a community member who just wants to know more about how it all works.
Here are some of the topics we explore in the episode:
- The historical context of magnet schools
- The past, present, and future goals the district has for magnet schools
- The updated admission requirements for academic magnets
- Transportation options for students not attending their zoned schools
- Why all parents should visit their zoned schools before making assumptions
- Zoned option schools and schools with geographic priority zones, such as Glendale Spanish Immersion and Lockeland Design Center
- Changes in the works for next year, such as the creation of new federally funded magnet schools and the revamped application process for transferring juniors and seniors
Still have questions about the process? Chris graciously offered to follow up with anyone who needs help/clarification. Leave a comment or send me an email and I will pass it on to him!